Essential to the Human Body
Water helps nearly every part of the human body function efficiently. Every system in your body depends on water:
- Brain is 75% water
- Blood is 92% water
- Bones are 22% water
- Muscles are 75% water
- Moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness
- Water is required for breathing
- Regulates body temperature
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
- Protects and cushions vital organs/joints
- Removes waste
Hydration is the replacement of body fluids lost through sweating, exhaling and elimination. Adequate hydration, along with regular exercise, is part of a healthy diet and maintaining good health. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.
Drink 8 8-ounces glasses of water a day: that’s about 1.9 liters, which is similar to the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the “8 by 8” rule isn’t supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it’s easy to remember.
Can I drink soft drinks to rehydrate? No. The caffeine in many soft drinks acts as a diuretic and depletes your body of fluids rather than replenishing them.
Bottled water is comprehensively regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for safety quality and it comes in 100% recyclable containers.
Choose bottled water instead of sugary or caffeinated drinks. Making the switch to refreshing zero-calorie bottled water could help reduce up to 700 calories/day or 255,500 calories a year! Drinking water also helps to curb your appetite.
Fitness and Exercise
When exercising, drinking enough water is a key to feeling good and performing at your best. Incorporate water into your daily exercise schedule:
- Bring a bottle of water with you to the gym, drink before and after your workout. Drink every 5 to 10 minutes during your workout.
- Equip your bicycle with a bottle holder.
- If you exercise at home, take frequent breaks at the water cooler
- Buy bottled water that comes with a sports cap so you can take it with you on any activity.
- Freeze a bottle of water overnight. When you take it with you, you will have cold water all day.